Problem Solving in Math
|Topic Review on "Title":
5 step problem solving strategy:
- Step 1: Identify what’s being given
- Step 2:
- Clarify what’s being asked.
- If necessary, rephrase the question
- Step 3:
- Select a strategy
- Trial & error, search, deductive reasoning, knowledge-based, working backwards
- Step 4: Solve using the strategy
- Step 5: Review the answer
KUDOS method for solving work problems:
- K = Known
- U = Unknown
- D = Definition
- O = Output
- S = Substantiation
Mathematics exam preparation tips:
- Stay ahead of the game
- Make a cheat-sheet
- Know the format of the test and information that’s fair game
- Make a mock exam
- Attend the review session
- Get help early
Exam taking tips:
- Arrive early and prepared
- Listen & Read instructions carefully
- Memory dump first
- Skim the test and form a plan
- Answer questions sequentially
- Apply the guessing rule
- Scan all the choices
- Avoid word confusion
- Beware of absolutes
- Show partial work
- Don’t forget units
- Don’t be fooled by blank space
|Rapid Study Kit for "Title":
|Core Concept Tutorial
||Problem Solving Drill
||Review Cheat Sheet
|"Title" Tutorial Summary :
Problem solving in mathematics is important to fully comprehend due to the frequency of them in algebra and higher mathematics courses. Strategies to solve word problems are introduced to aid in the problem solving learning process.
A common difficulty with mathematics courses is the dreaded word problem. The KUDOS method gives the student a place to start and a step by step method to begin the solution. KUDOS stands for known, unknown, definition, output, and substantiation. In addition to problem solving, this tutorial give hints to succeed on tests. Multiple choice, free response, and essay tips are all covered.
Specific Tutorial Features:
• Step by step examples to help apply problem solving techniques.
• Graphic organizers to help convey the problem solving tips discussed.
• Concept map showing inter-connections of new concepts in this tutorial and those previously introduced.
• Definition slides introduce terms as they are needed.
• Visual representation of concepts
• Animated examples—worked out step by step
• A concise summary is given at the conclusion of the tutorial.
|"Title" Topic List:
When to follow problem-solving techniques
A general problem-solving technique
How to solve word problems
How to prepare for an exam
Tips for taking exams
See all 24 lessons in Pre-Calculus, including concept tutorials, problem drills and cheat sheets:
Teach Yourself Pre-Calculus Visually in 24 Hours